I know this isn’t completely fashion related but I wanted to share something with you all. I know that life can get overwhelming at times and that all we want to do is stay in bed, but I promise you the best thing to do is stay in bed for a bit and then get out and go into the world. Maybe you have anxiety or depression, or maybe your day is just bad. I deal with anxiety and throughout the years I’ve come up with ways to deal with it. Some things work sometimes, and some don’t, but there’s no harm in trying.
I thought I would make a list of things I do to feel better when I have a bad day. You’ll be surprised to know that I use fashion to cope sometimes. When I was younger I hated going outside, mostly because I started to realize that I was different because of my wheelchair. A lot of times people would stare and ask my mom rude questions. It was awful, but I took solace in playing dress-up in my mother’s closet. I loved her handbags and her clothes. I would spend hours in her closet. I think that’s when I started to love fashion.
I was five during that time, and when I was ten I thought of an idea that would forever change my outlook on myself. If people were staring and asking rude questions, I would give them a reason to stare. I would use my love of fashion in my favor. I would dress up the way I dressed up in my mothers closet. It felt empowering and I conquered a small part of my anxiety. That’s just one way, but I have a few others:
- Write it down. After a bad breakup that sent my already present anxiety through the roof I started a blog, I already had a fashion blog, but I needed an outlet for my feelings. That’s how S.A. the Writer was born almost three years ago.
- There’s nothing wrong with getting professional help, actually it’s great. Sometimes you need an unbiased ear.
- Listen to music! It helps me out a lot when I’m feeling down. My go to artists are Selena Quintanilla, Fiona Apple, and Kid Cudi.
- Go outside. Fresh air is amazing.
- Treat yourself. You want a new sweater? Get it. You want a new box of tea? Get it. Don’t punish yourself, love yourself. Your anxiety or sadness isn’t a bad thing about you, it adds to your story.
- Take photos, of everything. There’s nothing like keeping memories on photo paper.
- Hear someone else’s story. Trust me, you’re never alone.
- Sleep is your friend. Rest your body and your soul.
- Hangout with people who love you.
- But don’t be afraid to let go of the people who don’t.
I hope this helps someone. I know it’s not really a fashion post, but I thought it would be nice to share.